Wednesday 8 September 2010

Sleep well Daddy, we love you. . . . August 24 1937 - August 10 2010

So the past 1month one line of a song (can't remember the title or who sang it) that keeps coming to my mind is "yesterday I got a call and it said that my daddy died". August 10th 2010, got that phone call!!! I was told daddy had died!!! Which daddy??? My daddy??? I was told I screamed I can't even remember! I wasn't sure I heard right! I kept telling myself that it was a mistake! Probably my sister didn't get the message! How could daddy die? How?? How??? There was no one to answer that question! I cried and laughed at the same time!
Made some calls to feel better! I tried so hard to hide the pain and tears in my heart! As I write this piece I've got tears in my eyes! Tears of a daughter who lost her dad, tears of a daughter who'll miss her dad so bad! I find it hard referring to him in "past tense"!
My daddy is a good man, I remember growing up, primary school! Daddy made sure we were comfortable! I can categorically say that he spoilt me silly! It was the same with my other 11sibblings, he made sure he was there for us, he treated each one of us like 12eggs(I am the 11th child) very fragile, to be handled with care! He was so full of life, very funny and interesting! He was always willing to listen,He's the most generous man I have ever known, asides from my 11 siblings! I had other people I knew as my siblings, almost 20 other people who called him daddy and he played the role of a father! He carried everyone along, he tried to be there for as many people as he could be there for! I remember the late night stories, I remember him teaching me how to speak my language I remember the many times he'd scold us, (He was stylishly strict) I remember the tears in his eyes everytime anyone of us was sick (especially me cos I was always falling ill), too many memories, 1 million and one, if told to write a billion words essay on "My Dad" I'll go on and on!
He wanted all his kids to be educated and learned, well he achieved that! He had doctors, a pharmacist, an architect bankers etc as children, he had 18grandkids, for everytime I read about his passing and his achievements! I am proud, I didn't know my dad achieved so much! Yea he used to tell us how he was a brilliant student and all, he'd show us his results and certificates to encourage us!he was a very supportive and protective father!
At least all these should console me, but even if he died at 120years I'll still cry this tears! I used to say that the only 2men I ever really loved 100% were my dad and my kid bro! Now daddy's gone! I wish I had gotten into school early enough so he'd have seen me graduate from university! Who's going to be my daddy on my wedding day, who's going to give my kids auchi names? Who am I going to cry to and talk to when things are unclear! Every time I got a job or I got something doing! Daddy would encourage me and smile! He told my mum to tell me to call him a week before he died! Little did I know that was the last I'll hear from him! I remember what he told me that day and I'll never forget!
Most times I wish I could see him! Atleast talk to him, ask him a few questions! Tell him a few things! I wish I could get one last chance! Its still like a dream! I hope I wake up soon! I look at his picture and it feels like he's staring at me, talking to me, trying to say something! I know after a while I'll get used to the fact that he'll be away for a very looong time! For now am allowed to lock myself in the toilet and cry sometimes, right???
I understand that we all would return to God someday! It was Daddy's time! God needed him! He was fulfilled and he had completed his assignment on earth! August 19 the day he was buried, the wailing women, the sad faces of the men, the jampacked Yakubu compound, and the rain that fell as soon as he was lowered into the grave and stopped as the spot was refilled! I realised how important and great my daddy was! I love my dad and having him as my dad is the best thing that happened to me! He was a father, my friend, my mentor! And every time I hear anyone talk about him, or anytime I read his some of his writings! I smile . . . . Because he lived a good life, he lived long enough to see his kids grow and to see his grandchildren (18 of them) he was an achiever! And he'd NEVER be forgotten. Sleep well Alhaji Ikhazs Yakubu my father my friend ,my mentor!!!! Am sure NIPR (Nigerian Institute of Public Relations) would also not forget you! You left a significant mark with everything you did , everyone you knew and everywhere you went!!! Till we meet again!!!!

17 comments:

  1. Awwww! Touching piece. May his soul Rest in Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching piece...yeah the song is probably Daddy's Song on the Kingdom Come Soundtrack..cheers sis..the good thing about those who have passed is that they leave a Legacy behind...you are one of such legacies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww... So sad. But I can assure you hez in a better place. You are allowed to lock yourself in the toilet and cry... Am sure he's proud of you too. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww... So sad. But I can assure you hez in a better place. You are allowed to lock yourself in the toilet and cry... Am sure he's proud of you too. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I never met him, reading this brings to life the picture of a daughter whose dad meant everything....at least I know of the hausa men who use ur house for prayers and shelter..he sure was a good man...may his soul rest in perfect perfect peace..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm teary and feel like I've known him all my life! May his soul rest in peace and may God console you and your family. Whenevr ur down, just think about what you both shared, good times and bad. He loved you and still does...Eni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sure with every passing day, he looks doan and smiles at all your achievement. I know he will be proud of u all. Take heart dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are right,he has achieved so much,and one of his greatest achievements was you.
    may his soul rest in peacce

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this piece twice before I eventually commented... I really don't have the right words to express how I feel about this piece but two things are certain: 1. It was well written 2. It came straight from the heart...it's a true story :(

    This must have been very hard for the writer (who I know) to put together and if she has the time and space, she'll write much more. Losing a loved one is such a herculean burden to bear but a handful of unstoppable deeds happen in life every now and then. The least we wish for is to foresee and prepare for the sad ones but "No Way"...we never see it coming.

    This is supposed to be a comment...let me stop here...but lastly, here's praying that God will keep protecting the lives your dad has left behind. I advice the rest of you to lend a shoulder to one another...and Daddy will be proud of you all as he watches from the bossom of the Almighty.

    Rest in peace Alhaji Ikhazs Yakubu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ‎​Hmmmm, and I didn't even know your daddy and yet I feel like I know him. Nicely written piece. I'm sure your daddy is sitting right beside the Almighty where he should be and he is watching over you his children. I wish I cud say I knew how you fell at the moment but I can't, I can only imagine. Go ahead and achieve all the things he wanted you to achieve, graduate, get married, give him grand kids I'm sure whether he is here or not I'm sure he will still beat his chest and say that is my daughter. The lord is your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww so touching,he must b d greatest

    ReplyDelete
  12. *sniff* my condolences again luv. i'm sure he'll be watching you always. May his soul rest in perfect peace Amen. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI ZINAB, SORRY FOR DADDY DEATH WE ALL MISS HIM, BUT REMEMBER ALMIGHTY ALLAH LOVE HIM MOST.. FROM ARUNAH'S AND AFAGBHODHE FAMILY!!!! INALIAH RAJIMIN WE ALL MISS HIM

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry for your loss...
    Even though I didn't know your dad, the way you talk about him, I would have loved to know him...
    May his soul rest in perfect peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww! I'm so sorry honey, really sorry to hear this, May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...August 10 is my birthday. Lost my dad on june 30th 2010 and he was buried on the 14th of August. His wake was on august 8th, so my birthday was obviously a sad occasion. I felt i also had to do a final goodbye to him too, and i poured my heart out in mine to him. This is such a beautiful post. He sounds like such a wonderful father. may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete